Honors the value, accomplishments and contributions of aircraft carriers and the men and women who serve aboard them
U.S. Navy aircraft carriers are so powerful, complex and awesome that it takes the entire month of November to celebrate them and their accomplishments.
November is National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month, a month-long celebration of the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier's role in defending the freedom of the United States, protecting the security of our nation and our allies, responding to crises and spurring technological innovation.
Throughout November, the U.S. Navy, museums and organizations across the country will hold events and activities to celebrate National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month.
November was selected as National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month because it is filled with historic anniversaries in the development of naval aviation and aircraft carriers, including the first launch of an aircraft from the deck of a U.S. Navy ship in 1910, the first catapult launch in 1915 and the first deployment of an operational aircraft carrier by the U.S. Navy in 1924.
The month-long celebration launched today in San Diego with an event aboard the USS Midway Museum. The event featured remarks by U.S. Representative Scott Peters (CA-52) and Capt. Craig Clapperton, commanding officer of the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71).
In his remarks, Rep. Peters stated, “I want to express my appreciation to all the men and women who have served on an aircraft carrier and made them a symbol of innovation and security.”
"Aircraft carriers are more than just a symbol of power and presence of the United States abroad. For decades, aircraft carriers have been the first to respond in times of crisis around the globe. Whether providing humanitarian relief, bolstering diplomacy or engaging the enemy with lethality, these mighty warships are vital to our national security. It cannot be understated how valuable and relevant this warfighting platform is to our Navy and our nation,” stated Capt. Clapperton.
For more than 70 years, U.S. Navy aircraft carriers have been the first responders that have protected our national security interests and have provided aid and assistance to our allies in times of crisis. Whether engaging with our enemies, bolstering our diplomacy or providing humanitarian relief in times of natural disaster, our aircraft carriers have been our nation’s most versatile maritime platform.
Adm. Gary Roughead, former chief of Naval Operations, best described the vital role of aircraft carriers when he stated, “Our carrier force provides the nation the unique ability to overcome political and geographic barriers to access critical areas and project power ashore without the need for host nation ports or airfields.”
Events and activities celebrating National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month in 2016 included:
- A video contest where contestants from across the country were challenged to convey the power and importance of aircraft carriers in a short video. View some of the entries here: aircraftcarrier.com.
- The winning National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month video by Andrew Guengerich of Austin, Texas, which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/zmooPSVXCoE.
- A national elementary school visits program that partners veterans who have served aboard aircraft carriers and U.S. Navy aviators to speak with elementary school students about the exciting life aboard a carrier and teach lessons on the advances in flying. aircraftcarrier.com/schools.
- The opening of a new exhibit at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida.
- Special displays and programs at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City.
- Manufacturing companies across the nation showcasing their pride in contributing to the construction of aircraft carriers: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/business/next-generation-aircraft-carrier-built-with-parts-from-huntington/article_81b4fcfd-005b-5e9b-8095-bf1db4fd783b.html.
- The first annual “National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month Ceremony & Golf Tournament” sponsored by the Association of Naval Aviation (ANA), Naval Helicopter Association (NHA) and Tailhook Association (THA).
- A Snapchat National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month filter for special events, historical sites and museums across the country.
- Custom aircraft carrier iMessage stickers enhance text messages and share with friends.
- A Favorite Carrier Contest to vote on your favorite aircraft carrier: http://www.aircraftcarrier.com/favorite-carrier-poll.
For more information on National U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Month and to get involved in the celebration, please visit www.aircraftcarrier.com.